Jennifer Lonoff Schiff has a great round up of project management patters to avoid over on CIO. In brief, the list is:
- Having a poor or no statement of work.
- Not setting expectations up front.
- Not securing management buy-in.
- Using the same methodology for all size projects.
- Overloading team members.
- Waiting or not wanting to share information.
- Not having a clearly defined decision-making process.
- Not using a project management software system.
- Allowing scope creep (or excessive scope creep).
- Being afraid to say "no."
- Not being a team player.
- Poor communication.
- Too many, too long status meetings.
- Not caring about quality--the "good enough" syndrome.
- Not learning from past project management mistakes
But make sure to read the full post for comments and explanations from project managers in the trenches.